24 November 2015

Geni's Spinach Dip

I don't know many people who don't like spinach dip. It always seems to be a winner at parties, and I've heard more than one person declare that they could just sit there and eat the entire bowl. I'm definitely in the fan category and so I have tried many different versions of this dip. This is my friend Geni's recipe and I can honestly say it is by far my favourite version of spinach dip! I see people devouring other spinach dips, and I think "you really need to try Geni's version!" This dip can be eaten cold but oh my goodness, when served warm, it is heavenly! So, without further ado, here is Geni's Spinach Dip!


Geni's Spinach Dip

Butter (I use a couple of good sized chunks)
2 small onions, chopped finely
2 packets of frozen spinach, defrosted (or fresh spinach, chopped finely)
1 packet of French Onion soup mix
1 packet of Spring Vegetables soup mix
2 cartons sour cream
1 cob bread
Extra bread (optional)*

* If it's a large party, I sometimes buy an extra cob bread or some bread rolls so that there is extra dipping bread available :)

1. Fry onions in a saucepan with the butter until soft and opaque.

2. Add spinach and stir until all broken up and mixed with onions and butter.

3. Sprinkle the packets of French Onion and Spring Vegetable soups over the spinach and stir to combine.

4. Pour in the sour cream and mix to combine. Bring to the boil and then let simmer for a minute or two.

5. In the meantime, cut off the top of the cob bread and pull out the centre crumb in the base, leaving a thick enough shell to serve your dip from.

6. Chop the top of the cob bread and the centre crumb part into bite size pieces and place around the base in an oven proof dish.

7. Pour the dip into the cob bread base and then place dish in a preheated oven (150-180 degrees Celsius) until bread and dip are slightly toasted or beginning to brown.

8. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving. Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment :)