11 January 2016

Lemon Zest and Zucchini Flower Pasta

I can't let this Summer pass without sharing one of my very favourite zucchini flower recipes. Each year, I patiently wait for my mother-in-law to collect her crop of zucchini flowers so that I can make this dish. Whilst I love using the flowers to make fritters and I can rarely turn down stuffed zucchini flowers on restaurant menus, this dish is something else again. It's just moreish...

The ingredient quantities for this recipe are not set in stone. I tend to tinker with them, depending on what I have available. Plus I always like to add extra zucchini and flowers if I can! The quantities listed are enough for two large serves with leftovers.


Lemon Zest and Zucchini Flower Pasta

2 medium or 4 small zucchini, grated
10 zucchini flowers, cleaned (stem removed) and cut in half
olive oil
1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes (optional)
3-4 tablespoons pine nuts
Grated zest of one lemon
160ml of vegetable stock*
250g dry pasta/spaghetti
Salt to taste
Parmesan cheese (optional)

* Thermomix users can use tablespoon of homemade vegetable stock dissolved in 160ml of water.

1. Heat a little oil in a fry pan and fry the grated zucchini and flowers on medium heat until wilted and starting to brown. Stir mixture occasionally to avoid it burning and sticking to pan.

2. Add as little or as much chilli as you desire and mix through.

3. Then add pine nuts, lemon zest and stock and cook for another few minutes. Season with a little salt.

4. Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in boiling, salted water to your liking. Once cooked, drain and place back into saucepan. Toss some of the zucchini mixture through the pasta so that it's well coated.

5. Dish pasta into individual plates and top with some additional zucchini mixture, as well as a little Parmesan if desired.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment :)